BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Ortega family come from? What is the Spanish Ortega family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ortega family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ortega family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Ortega. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ortega, Ortego, de Ortega, Hortega, de Hortega, Ortiga, Ortegal, Ortigal, Ortiguera, Ortigosa and many more.
First found in Castile, in north central Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ortega research. Another 339 words(24 lines of text) covering the years 1095, 1492, 1492, 1701, 1702 and 1873 are included under the topic Early Ortega History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 169 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ortega Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Antón de Ortega, who sailed to America in 1511
- Cristóbal de Ortega, went to America in 1512
- Mayor de Ortega, went to America in 1516
- Pedro de Ortega, settled in Venezuela in 1534
- Juan de Ortega Tirado, landed in Río de la Plata in 1535
Ortega Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Captain Francisco Ortega, who explored and charted the California coastline in the 1600s
Ortega Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Isabel De Ortega, who arrived in America in 1812
- Francisco Ortega, who arrived in America in 1815
- Mayor De Ortega, who landed in America in 1816
- Cristobal De Ortega, who arrived in America in 1816
- Thomas Ortega, aged 40, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Blanca Rosa Ortega, American accountant and professor
- Deborah L Ortega, American government official
- James Ortega, American engineering company executive
- Oscar J Ortega, prominent American rancher
- Onésimo Redondo Ortega, Spanish politician
- Braulio Atienza Ortega (b. 1925), Spanish doctor
- José Ortega y Gasset, renowned Spanish writer, philosopher and professor
- Domingo Ortega, Spanish bullfighter
- Juan Ortega y Rubio, Spanish historian
- Manuel Ortega, Spanish singer and actor who frequently performed with his daughter Luisa Ortega
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Ortega Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ortega Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 December 2013 at 17:47.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is