100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Ord family come from? What is the English Ord family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ord family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ord family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Orde, Ord and others.
First found in Ord, a village about 2 miles (3 km) south west of Berwick Upon Tweed in Northumberland that dates back to 1196 where it was first listed as Horde.  East Ord, Middle Ord and West Ord were all hamlets at one time and all owned by the Ord family until the early fifteenth century. The villages are essentially on the Scottish-English border of today so the family's movement through the ages on both sides is to be expected.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ord research. Another 275 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1180, 1296, 1781, 1855, 1802, 1832, 1835 and 1852 are included under the topic Early Ord History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ord Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ord Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Ord settled in Virginia in 1653
- William Ord, who landed in Virginia in 1653
Ord Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Dorothy Ord settled in Potomac Maryland in 1729
- Walter Ord settled in Georgia in 1734
- Johan Heinrich Ord, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Robert Ord settled in Virginia in 1773
- George Ord, who arrived in New York, NY in 1778
Ord Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John George Ord, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
- George Ord (1781-1866), American ornithologist
- Major-General James Garesch Ord (1886-1960), American Chief of the Joint Brazil-US Defense Commission (1943-1945)
- Major-General Sir Harry St George Ord (b. 1819), Australian politician, Governor of Western Australia from 1877 to 1880
- Boris Ord, British organist and choirmaster of King's College
- Edward Otho Cresap Ord (1818-1883), designer of Fort Sam Houston
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Ord Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ord Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 March 2014 at 10:20.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!