BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Ontiveros family come from? What is the Spanish Ontiveros family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ontiveros family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ontiveros family history?The distinguished surname Ontiveros is of Spanish origin. It is derived from the place of residence of the original bearer. In this case, the surname Ontiveros derives from the Marquisate of Ontiveros, lands which were first granted to this family in 1677. The place name derives from the Basque word "ote, ota" meaning "stock, vine" and Latin word "verus" meaning "true, real, genuine."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hontiveros, Ontivero, Ontiver, Hontivo and others.
First found in the province of La rioja in the mountainous regions of Castile and Leon.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ontiveros research. Another 373 words(27 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ontiveros History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ontiveros Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ontiveros Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso De Ontiveros, who landed in America in 1816
- Nicolas De Ontiveros, who landed in America in 1817
- Juan De Ontiveros, who arrived in Peru in 1834
- Steven Ontiveros (b. 1961), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Lupe Ontiveros (b. 1942), American film and television actress
- Steven Robert Ontiveros (b. 1951), American former third baseman in Major League Baseball
- Martin Ontiveros (b. 1969), American illustrator of the Ricky Ricotta books written by Dav Pilkey
- José Ontiveros, Spanish actor who emigrated to Argentina
- Felipe de Zúniga y Ontiveros (1717-1793), Spanish scientist, cartographer and publisher in New Spain
- Karin Cecilia Ontiveros (b. 1988), Mexican model
- Margarita Gonzalez Ontiveros (1927-2006), Mexican-born Mezzosoprano and Contralto
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Ontiveros Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ontiveros Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2013 at 17:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is