100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: Belgium, English
Where did the Belgium Oden family come from? What is the Belgium Oden family crest and coat of arms? When did the Oden family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Oden family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ottesen, Ottsen, Ottesen, Ottosen, Otzen, Ottsen, Outzen, Otten, Ottens, Oden, Odens, Ottersen and many more.
First found in Belgium, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Liege, a province in Belgium, center of Walloon country. Within this province the notable towns are Liege, the capital city, seat of the great cathedral of St.Lambert destroyed in 1794. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Oden research. Another 252 words(18 lines of text) covering the year 1701 is included under the topic Early Oden History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Oden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Oden Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- William Oden, who arrived in Virginia in 1634
Oden Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- W Oden, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Angel Cawley Oden, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1896
Oden Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Brin Oden, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1900
- Axel H. Oden, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Daniel Felix Oden, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1911
- Coleman Oden, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1922
- Gregory Wayne "Greg" Oden Jr. (b. 1988), American NBA basketball player
- James Burke "St. Louis Jimmy" Oden (1903-1977), American blues vocalist and songwriter from Nashville, Tennessee
- Beverly Oden (1971-1996), American volleyball player at the 1996 Summer Olympics
- Thomas Clark Oden (b. 1931), American United Methodist theologian and religious author
- Scott Oden (b. 1967), American historical novelist
- Gloria Catherine Oden (b. 1923), American poet, editor and retired professor of English
- Robert Allen Oden Jr. (1946-1995), American academic, President of Kenyon College from 1995-2002
- Lon Oden (1863-1910), American layman, legendary Texas Ranger of the Old West
- Anthony Earl Oden (b. 1973), American football coach and former player
- Henry Oden (b. 1947), American blues musician
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
The Oden Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Oden Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 January 2013 at 08:29.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!