BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Nunn family come from? When did the Nunn family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Nunn family history?The Nunn surname derives from the Old English word "nunne," in turn from the Latin "nonna," both of which mean a "Nun." As a name, it was likely originally a nickname for a pious person, or an occupational name for someone who worked at a convent.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Noon, Noone, Nunn, Nones, None, Nun and others.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nunn research. Another 278 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1514 is included under the topic Early Nunn History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Nunn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Nunn family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 108 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nunn Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Nunn, who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Richard Nunn, aged 19, landed in New England in 1635
- Tho Nunn, aged 22, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- John Nunn, who arrived in Maryland in 1673
- John Nunn settled in Virginia in 1695
Nunn Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Nunn, who landed in Mississippi in 1856
- Samuel Augustus Nunn Jr. (b. 1938), American businessman and politician
- William G. "Bill" Nunn III (b. 1953), American actor
- Lucien Lucius "L.L." Nunn (1853-1925), American entrepreneur and educator, founder of the Telluride Association and Deep Springs College
- Terri Kathleen Nunn (b. 1961), American singer and actress
- Stephen "Steve" Rob Nunn (b. 1952), American former Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services for the Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Joseph Nunn (1905-1968), American engineer, co-creator of the Baker-Nunn cameras, a series of satellite tracking cameras
- Ronnie Nunn, American former professional NBA basketball referee
- Sir Thomas Percy Nunn (1870-1944), English Education Administrator
- Sir Trevor Robert Nunn (b. 1940), English two-time Tony Award nominated Artistic Director for the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal National Theatre, and the Theatre Royal, Haymarket
- John Denis Martin Nunn (b. 1955), English chess master, three-time world champion in chess problem solving
- Nunn Families of Northeast Georgia by D.C. Nu.
- , Nunns of the Sou.
- by Alexander Nunn.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
This page was last modified on 24 July 2014 at 14:20.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is