100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Northrup family come from? What is the English Northrup family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northrup family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northrup family history?The name Northrup is a habitational name, derived from the place named Northorpe in the former East Riding of Yorkshire. The place name comes from the Old English "norž," meaning "north," and "žorp," or "žrop," meaning an "outlying farmstead" or "hamlet."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northrup, Northorp, Northrop, Northup, Northope and others.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat in ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northrup research. Another 302 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1216, 1273, 1296, 1379, and 1682 are included under the topic Early Northrup History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Northrup Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northrup Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Northrup, who sailed to New England between 1620 and 1650
- Joseph Northrup sailed to Massachusetts in 1637
- Joseph Northrup, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1637
Northrup Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- G H Northrup, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- E. Northrup, who came to San Francisco in 1852
- E. B. Northrup, who came to San Francisco in 1852
- Emma Northrup, aged 43, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- H.E. Northrup, aged 46, who landed in America, in 1894
Northrup Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Harper Samuel Northrup, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- George Tyler Northrup, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1907
- E. Antoinette Northrup, aged 55, who landed in America, in 1907
- Edward Northrup, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1909
- Frank E. Northrup, aged 41, who settled in America, in 1911
- Edwin Fitch Northrup (1886-1940), American professor of physics at Princeton University
- Harry Northrup (1875-1936), French-born, American film actor of the silent film era who appeared in 135 films
- Jim "Gray Fox" Northrup (1939-2011), former Major League Baseball player
- Jim Northrup (b. 1943), Native American newspaper columnist
- Leonard "Lynn" L. Northrup Jr. (b. 1918), American inventor and businessman
- Patricia Northrup, American military pilot, former Miss California, recipient of three Flying Air Medals
- Philip Northrup (1904-1963), American track and field athlete
- Theodore Havermeyer Northrup (1866-1919), American ragtime composer, best known for his "Louisiana Rag" (1897)
- Bruce Northrup (b. 1955), Canadian politician in New Brunswick
- William Barton Northrup (1856-1925), Canadian lawyer and politician
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
The Northrup Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northrup Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 March 2013 at 12:59.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!