BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Nimmo family come from? What is the Scottish Nimmo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Nimmo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Nimmo family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nimmo, Newmarch, Nemmoke, Nemmock, Newmarsh and others.
First found in Stirlingshire, where they held a family seat from early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nimmo research. Another 385 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1459, 1616, and 1679 are included under the topic Early Nimmo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Nimmo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nimmo Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James Nimmo settled in Virginia in 1716
- James Nimmo, who landed in Virginia in 1716
- William Nimmo, who arrived in Virginia in 1748
- John Nimmo settled in New England in 1772
Nimmo Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Archibald Nimmo settled in Philadelphia in 1864
- Mary Nimmo (1842-1899), American 19th century landscape artist
- Justin Nimmo (b. 1974), American actor
- Robert "Bob" Nimmo (1922-2005), American military officer and politician; he served in the California State Assembly (1973 to 1977) and California State Senate (1977 to 1981)
- William Lorne "Bill" Nimmo (1917-2011), American television and radio personality, best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on the show Who Do You Trust?
- Ian Nimmo (b. 1985), Scottish rugby union player
- Alexander Nimmo (1783-1832), Scottish engineer and architect
- Jenny Nimmo (b. 1944), British author of numerous books for children
- Derek Robert Nimmo (1930-1999), English character actor, known for his work in All Gas and Gaiters (1966), Just a Nimmo (1974) and One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing (1975)
- John Robert Nimmo (1910-1994), New Zealand cricketer
- Lieutenant-General Robert Harold Nimmo CBE (1893-1966), Australian Head of UN Military Observer Group in Pakistan & India from 1952 to 1966
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Nimmo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Nimmo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 April 2014 at 07:48.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is