An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Niehaus family come from? What is the German Niehaus family crest and coat of arms? When did the Niehaus family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Niehaus family history?The roots of the Niehaus family lie in the German duchy of Westphalia. The surname Niehaus is derived from two words, "nie," a Low German word meaning "new," and "haus," the standard German word for "house." Thus, the name may have been originally given to someone who owned his own house as opposed to being a tenant, or to someone who was connected with a new or important building in the settlement.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Niehaus, Niehuus, Nihus, Neuhaus and others.
First found in the farmlands of Westphalia, where it is believed that the name first emerged. There are no reliable written records from this earliest period of the surname's history that show the original bearers, but it is likely that the name was first given to a prominent householder residing in this region.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Niehaus research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1582, 1590, 1657, 1590, 1657, 1795 and 1828 are included under the topic Early Niehaus History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Niehaus Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Niehaus Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
Niehaus Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
The Niehaus Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Niehaus Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 August 2014 at 09:05.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.