BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Neuman family come from? What is the German Neuman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Neuman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Neuman family history?The Neuman surname is derived from the Middle High German words "niuwe," meaning "new," and "mann," meaning "man." As such, the name was most likely originally a nickname for someone who had recently moved to a location.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Neumann, Neuman, Newman, Neumanns, Neumans and others.
First found in West Prussia and Pomerelia, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families in the western region. From the 13th century onwards the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Neuman research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1872, 1880, 1648, 1715, 1687, 1753 and 1779 are included under the topic Early Neuman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 71 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Neuman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Neuman Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Neuman, who landed in North Carolina in 1701
- Jane Neuman, who arrived in North Carolina in 1701
- Thomas Neuman, who landed in North Carolina in 1701
- Lodewyk Neuman, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Melchior Neuman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1734
Neuman Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Neuman, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Ann E. Neuman, who arrived in Baltimore in 1833
- Gerhard Neuman, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
- Guillermo Neuman, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1845
- Herman Herr Neuman, aged 25, landed in New York, NY in 1850
- Susan Neuman, prominent American educator, researcher, and education policy -maker in early childhood and literacy development
- Susan Neuman, American prominent educator, researcher, and education policy -maker
- Molly Neuman, American musician
- Sam Neuman, American writer for television and films and a songwriter
- Mark Neuman, American Republican member of the Alaska House of Representatives
- Robert Michael Neuman, professor of art history at Florida State University
- William F Neuman (b. 1919), important American biochemist and author
- Andrés Neuman (b. 1977), Spanish-Argentine writer and poet
- Alberto Neuman, Argentine pianist
- Michael Neuman (b. 1955), Canadian-born executive
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
The Neuman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Neuman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 December 2013 at 00:18.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is