An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Nava family come from? What is the Spanish Nava family crest and coat of arms? When did the Nava family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Nava family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Nava.The original bearer of the name Nava, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Nava family originally lived in the northern Spanish province of Navarra. The place-name Navarra is derived from the Basque word "nava," or "naba," which means "plain near the mountains."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Navarro, Navaro, Navarra, Navarre, Navarrolas and others.
First found in Aragon, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nava research. Another 490 words(35 lines of text) covering the years 1137, 1148, 1170, 1180, 1229, 1238, 1282, and 1469 are included under the topic Early Nava History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 76 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nava Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nava Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
Nava Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
The Nava Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Nava Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 December 2012 at 15:00.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.