100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the German Munger family come from? What is the German Munger family crest and coat of arms? When did the Munger family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Munger family history?The Munger surname comes from the German "ungarn," meaning someone from Hungary (a Magyar).
Spelling variations of this family name include: Unger, Ungerer, Ungar, Ungarer, Ungare, Ungars, Ungers, Ungert and many more.
First found in Bohemia, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society that played a prominent role throughout European history. Bearers of Munger would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Munger research. Another 277 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1573, 1701, 1776, 1780, 1800, 1837, 1870, and 1887 are included under the topic Early Munger History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 50 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Munger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Munger Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Munger, who landed in Virginia in 1638
- Nicholas Munger, who arrived in Connecticut in 1639
Munger Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Carl Munger, aged 3, who emigrated to the United States, in 1892
- Carl E. Munger, aged 36, who landed in America, in 1894
- Blume Munger, aged 3, who settled in America from Lemberg, in 1898
Munger Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Carl Eugene Munger, who emigrated to America, in 1909
- Charles Newcomb Munger, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1914
- Charles Munger, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1915
- Charles Thomas Munger (b. 1924), American business magnate, investor and investment manager
- George David "Red" Munger (1918-1996), American professional baseball player
- Michael Curtis Munger (b. 1958), American economist, chair of the political science department at Duke University
- Philip Munger, American composer and music educator
- George Munger (1909-1994), American football player and coach at the University of Pennsylvania, College Football Hall of Fame inductee, eponym of the George Munger Award
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
The Munger Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Munger Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2013 at 15:48.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!