100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Moyle family come from? What is the English Moyle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Moyle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Moyle family history?The Moyle name is derived from the Cornish word "moyl," meaning "bald," as such, it may have evolved from a nickname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moyle, Moil, Moile, Moyles, Muyle and others.
First found in Cornwall where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor of Bake. Cornwall was a land set apart, a land of mystique and quaint customs, more strongly related to Brittany and Wales than to England. It was not until the 10th century that they submitted to the Saxon rule of England. Since then, their influence has moved east into Devon, Somerset and Dorset.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Moyle research. Another 419 words(30 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1079, 1142, 1149, 1162, 1535, 1200, 1290, 1465, 1542, 1660, 1664, 1480, 1592, 1661, 1500, 1560, 1541, 1544, 1604, 1592, 1661, 1627, 1701, 1654, 1656, 1671, 1672 and 1721 are included under the topic Early Moyle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 249 words(18 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Moyle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Moyle Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Dorothy Moyle, who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Dorothy Moyle, aged 24, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Wm Moyle, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- Roger Moyle, who settled in Virginia in 1652
- Roger Moyle, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Moyle Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Moyle, who came to Virginia in 1715
- Henry Moyle, who arrived in Virginia in 1715
Moyle Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Moyle, aged 1, landed in New York, NY in 1842
- Susan Moyle, aged 34, arrived in New York, NY in 1842
- Thomas Moyle, aged 29, landed in New York, NY in 1842
- W Moyle, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- William Moyle, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1853
- Henry D Moyle (1889-1963), American counselor in the LDS church
- Allan Moyle (b. 1947), Canadian film-maker, actor and screenwriter
- Dr. Peter B Moyle, professor of Biology at the University of California, Davis
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Moyle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Moyle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2013 at 14:14.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!