BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Mosby family come from? What is the Scottish Mosby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mosby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mosby family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moresby, Moorsby, Moriceby, Morrisby and others.
First found in Cumbria, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mosby research. Another 180 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1160, 1265, 1332, and 1471 are included under the topic Early Mosby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 30 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mosby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mosby Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Mosby, who landed in Virginia in 1663
- John Singleton Mosby (1833-1916), nicknamed the "Gray Ghost", American Confederate cavalry battalion commander in the American Civil War, leader of the Mosby's Rangers or Mosby's Raiders
- Brigadier General Littleberry C. Mosby Jr. (1757-1821), American military officer during the American Revolutionary War
- Bernice Mosby (b. 1984), American WNBA professional basketball player
- Curtis J. Mosby (1888-1957), American jazz drummer, bandleader, and businessman
- Howard Mosby (b. 1961), American politician, Member of the Georgia House of Representatives
- Harold Mosby (1926-2007), English footballer
- Hakon Mosby, Norwegian meteorologist and oceanographer, eponym of Mosby Glacier, Antarctica
- Edward P. Mosby, English professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1900s
- Our Noble Heritage: The Mosby Family History by James H. Mosby.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Mosby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mosby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 September 2013 at 19:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is