BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Mosby family come from? What is the Scottish Mosby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mosby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mosby family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moresby, Moorsby, Moriceby, Morrisby and others.
First found in Cumbria, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mosby research. Another 180 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1160, 1265, 1332, and 1471 are included under the topic Early Mosby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 30 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mosby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mosby Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Mosby, who landed in Virginia in 1663
- John Singleton Mosby (1833-1916), nicknamed the "Gray Ghost", American Confederate cavalry battalion commander in the American Civil War, leader of the Mosby's Rangers or Mosby's Raiders
- Brigadier General Littleberry C. Mosby Jr. (1757-1821), American military officer during the American Revolutionary War
- Bernice Mosby (b. 1984), American WNBA professional basketball player
- Curtis J. Mosby (1888-1957), American jazz drummer, bandleader, and businessman
- Howard Mosby (b. 1961), American politician, Member of the Georgia House of Representatives
- Harold Mosby (1926-2007), English footballer
- Hakon Mosby, Norwegian meteorologist and oceanographer, eponym of Mosby Glacier, Antarctica
- Edward P. Mosby, English professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1900s
- Our Noble Heritage: The Mosby Family History by James H. Mosby.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Mosby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mosby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 September 2013 at 19:37.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is