BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Minahan family come from? What is the Irish Minahan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Minahan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Minahan family history?The surname Minahan is an anglicized version of the Irish name O Muimhneachain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moynihan, Minihan, Minaghan, Moynaghan, Myneghane, Minighane, Munnighane, Minihane, Minnagh, Mimnagh, Moyna and many more.
First found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, where a sept of the Hy Fiachrach group called O Mionachain was mentioned in 1220 by the Four Masters. They were sub-chiefs of Erris.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Minahan research. Another 172 words(12 lines of text) covering the year 1659 is included under the topic Early Minahan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Minahan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Daniel Moynihan, who was naturalized in Detroit in 1834; Timothy Minihan and his family, who immigrated to St. John, New Brunswick in 1834; James and John Moynagh, who were recorded in Nova Scotia in 1843.
- Daniel Minahan, American television and film director and writer
- Daniel Francis Minahan (1877-1947), American Democratic Party politician from New Jersey
- Edmund Joseph Minahan (1882-1958), American track and field athlete who competed at the 1900 Summer Olympics
- Edmund Joseph "Cotton" Minahan (1882-1958), former American professional baseball player
- Dr. William Edward Minahan (d. 1912), aged 44, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking and was recovered by CS Mackay-Bennett
- Miss Daisy E. Minahan, aged 33, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 14
- Mrs. Lillian E. Minahan, (née Thorpe), aged 37, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 14
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Minahan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Minahan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 February 2014 at 14:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is