BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Minahan family come from? What is the Irish Minahan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Minahan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Minahan family history?The surname Minahan is an anglicized version of the Irish name O Muimhneachain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moynihan, Minihan, Minaghan, Moynaghan, Myneghane, Minighane, Munnighane, Minihane, Minnagh, Mimnagh, Moyna and many more.
First found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, where a sept of the Hy Fiachrach group called O Mionachain was mentioned in 1220 by the Four Masters. They were sub-chiefs of Erris.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Minahan research. Another 172 words(12 lines of text) covering the year 1659 is included under the topic Early Minahan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Minahan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Daniel Moynihan, who was naturalized in Detroit in 1834; Timothy Minihan and his family, who immigrated to St. John, New Brunswick in 1834; James and John Moynagh, who were recorded in Nova Scotia in 1843.
- Daniel Minahan, American television and film director and writer
- Daniel Francis Minahan (1877-1947), American Democratic Party politician from New Jersey
- Edmund Joseph Minahan (1882-1958), American track and field athlete who competed at the 1900 Summer Olympics
- Edmund Joseph "Cotton" Minahan (1882-1958), former American professional baseball player
- Dr. William Edward Minahan (d. 1912), aged 44, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking and was recovered by CS Mackay-Bennett
- Miss Daisy E. Minahan, aged 33, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 14
- Mrs. Lillian E. Minahan, (née Thorpe), aged 37, American First Class passenger from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 14
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
The Minahan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Minahan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 February 2014 at 14:54.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is