BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Michener family come from? What is the English Michener family crest and coat of arms? When did the Michener family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Michener family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Michnor, Mitchnor, Mitchner, Mitchnor, Mitchener and many more.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Michener research. Another 313 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Michener History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Michener Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Michener Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Caroline D. Michener, aged 36, who landed in America, in 1892
Michener Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Helen B. Michener, who landed in America, in 1905
- Elvin G. Michener, aged 67, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Jeannie R. Michener, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- Margherita O. Michener, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1910
- O. Edwin Michener, aged 60, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- James Albert Michener (1907-1997), American author awarded the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Charles Duncan Michener (b. 1918), American entomologist elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1965
- Earl Cory Michener (1876-1957), American politician, member of U.S. Congress from 1919 to 1933 and from 1935 to 1951
- The Right Honourable Daniel Roland Michener PC, CC, CMM, OOnt, CD, QC, FRHSC(hon) (1900-1991), Canadian Rhodes Scholar, lawyer, politician, and diplomat and served as the 20th Governor General of Canada from 1967 to 1974
- Edward Michener (1869-1947), Canadian politician appointed to the Canadian Senate in 1918. His son Roland Michener went on to be Governor General of Canada
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Michener Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Michener Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 December 2012 at 18:42.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is