100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish McNally family come from? What is the Irish McNally family crest and coat of arms? When did the McNally family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McNally family history?The original Gaelic form of McNally was Mac an Fhailghigh, which is derived from the word failgheach, which means poor man.
Those scribes in Ireland during the Middle Ages recorded names as they sounded. Consequently, in this era many people were recorded under different spellings each time their name was written down. Research on the McNally family name revealed numerous spelling variations, including McNally, McAnully, McAnalley, McAnally and others.
First found in counties Armagh and Monaghan, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McNally research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1120, 1653, 1680 and 1697 are included under the topic Early McNally History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 79 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McNally Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name McNally:
McNally Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Hugh McNally, who arrived in America in 1806
- Mathew McNally, aged 30, landed in New York in 1812
- Henry McNally, aged 32, arrived in New York in 1812
- Jane McNally, aged 19, arrived in New York, NY in 1849
- John McNally, who landed in Mississippi in 1849
- David Arthur McNally (1942-2002), American Major League Baseball left-handed starting pitcher and the only pitcher in Major League history to hit a grand slam in a World Series game
- Dave McNally (1942-2002), Major League Baseball left-handed pitcher
- Paul A. McNally (1890-1955), American astronomer and a Jesuit priest, eponym of the McNally crater on the Moon
- Terrence E. McNally, American actor and radio host
- Terrence McNally (b. 1939), American four-time Tony Award winning, and an Emmy Award winnning playwright
- Stephen McNally (1913-1994), American actor
- Shannon McNally (b. 1973), American singer-songwriter from Hempstead, Long Island
- Patrick McNally (b. 1991), American NHL ice hockey player
- John Victor "Blood" McNally (1903-1985), American NFL football player, inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1963)
- Joe McNally (1952-1987), American photographer from Montclair, New Jersey for the National Geographic Society since 1987
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
The McNally Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McNally Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 December 2013 at 12:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!