100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish McMorrow family come from? What is the Irish McMorrow family crest and coat of arms? When did the McMorrow family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McMorrow family history?The original Gaelic versions of today's Irish names demonstrate a proud, ancient past. The original Gaelic form of the name McMorrow is Mac Murchadha.
The recording of names in Ireland during the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. Since the general population did not know how to read or write, they could only specify how their names should be recorded orally. Research into the name McMorrow revealed spelling variations, including McMorough, McMorogh, McMorrough, McMurrer and others.
First found in Leinster, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McMorrow research. Another 220 words(16 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early McMorrow History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McMorrow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name McMorrow:
McMorrow Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James McMorrow, Henry McMorrow and John McMorrow, who were all on record arriving in New York in 1804
- James McMorrow, who arrived in New York, NY in 1804
- Jno McMorrow, who landed in New York, NY in 1804
- Hen McMorrow, who landed in America in 1805
- Ann McMorrow, aged 20, who landed in America from Ireland, in 1893
McMorrow Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Anne McMorrow, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Moneymore, in 1900
- Annie McMorrow, aged 27, who emigrated to America from Sligo, in 1902
- Bedelia McMorrow, aged 23, who landed in America from Leitrim, in 1906
- Annie McMorrow, aged 20, who settled in America from Co. Antrim, in 1906
- Annie McMorrow, aged 23, who landed in America from Lutrim, Ireland, in 1908
- Scott McMorrow, American playwright and actor
- Gerald McMorrow, American director and writer
- Michael Sean McMorrow (b. 1963), American musician, composer, and producer
- Mary Ann G. McMorrow (b. 1930), former Illinois Supreme Court justice
- Virginia G. McMorrow, American fantasy/young adult author
- Barbara J. McMorrow, American Republican Party politician
- James Vincent McMorrow, Irish folk music singer-songwriter
- Sean McMorrow (b. 1982), Canadian ice hockey winger
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The McMorrow Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McMorrow Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 October 2013 at 14:08.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!