100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Irish McKelvey family come from? What is the Irish McKelvey family crest and coat of arms? When did the McKelvey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McKelvey family history?The Irish surname McKelvey originally appeared in Gaelic as "Mac Fhiodhbhuidhe," which is probably derived from the word "fiodhbhadhach," referring to "a woodman."
A name was often recorded during the Middle Ages under several different spelling variations during the life of its bearer because literacy was rare there was no real push to clearly define any of the languages found in the British Isles at that time. Variations found of the name McKelvey include McEvoy, Evoy, McGilloway, McVeagh, McVeigh, McAvoy, McElwee, McElwy and many more.
First found in Wexford, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McKelvey research. Another 241 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1100 and 1563 are included under the topic Early McKelvey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McKelvey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great mass of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century, seeking relief from various forms of social, religious, and economic discrimination. This Irish exodus was primarily to North America. If the migrants survived the long ocean journey, many unfortunately would find more discrimination in the colonies of British North America and the fledgling United States of America. These newly arrived Irish were, however, wanted as a cheap source of labor for the many large agricultural and industrial projects that were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the western world. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the McKelvey name:
McKelvey Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- James McKelvey, who arrived in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1767
McKelvey Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William McKelvey, who arrived in America in 1802
- David McKelvey, who was naturalized in South Carolina in 1805
- Hugh McKelvey, who was naturalized in Allegheny Co. , Pennsylvania in 1807
- Hugh McKelvey, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1807
- John McKelvey, aged 27, landed in New York in 1812
- Richard McKelvey (1944-2002), American political scientist
- Andrew McKelvey (b. 1935), American founder, chairman, and CEO of TMP Worldwide, the world's largest seller of yellow page ads
- Tara Shannon McKelvey, American journalist
- John Wellington McKelvey (1847-1944), American Major League Baseball player
- Vincent Ellis McKelvey (1916-1987), American geologist
- J. J. McKelvey (b. 1980), American football wide receiver
- Joe McKelvey (d. 1922), Irish Republican Army officer who was executed during the Irish Civil War
- Frank McKelvey (1895-1974), Irish painter from Belfast
- William McKelvey (b. 1934), British politician, MP for Kilmarnock (1979-1983)
- Patricia "Trisha" Frances McKelvey (b. 1942), former New Zealand cricketer
- The Voyage from Ireland by W. Conrad McKelvey.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
The McKelvey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McKelvey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 September 2013 at 09:44.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!