100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish McIlvaine family come from? What is the Scottish McIlvaine family crest and coat of arms? When did the McIlvaine family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McIlvaine family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacIlvean, MacIlvane, MacIlvenna, MacIlwain, MacIlwaine and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McIlvaine research. Another 192 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1546 are included under the topic Early McIlvaine History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McIlvaine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McIlvaine family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 236 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McIlvaine Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- J. H. McIlvaine, aged 44, who settled in America, in 1892
- Hattie McIlvaine, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Anna McIlvaine, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- A. McIlvaine, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1896
- Hattie McIlvaine, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1897
McIlvaine Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Mary McIlvaine, who landed in America, in 1907
- M. McIlvaine, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Eliz McIlvaine, aged 27, who landed in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1908
- Fannie McIlvaine, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1908
- Anna McIlvaine, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1908
- Abraham Robinson McIlvaine (1804-1863), American politician, U.S. congressman from Pennsylvania
- Charles McIlvaine (1840-1909), American author and mycologist
- Charles Pettit McIlvaine (1799-1873), American Episcopalian bishop and author, twice Chaplain of the United States Senate
- Jim McIlvaine (b. 1972), American NBA basketball player
- Joseph McIlvaine (1769-1826), American politician, U.S. senator from New Jersey
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The McIlvaine Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McIlvaine Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 February 2013 at 14:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!