BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish McElwain family come from? What is the Scottish McElwain family crest and coat of arms? When did the McElwain family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McElwain family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacIlvean, MacIlvane, MacIlvenna, MacIlwain, MacIlwaine and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McElwain research. Another 192 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1546 are included under the topic Early McElwain History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McElwain Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McElwain family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 236 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McElwain Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John McElwain, who arrived in New York in 1795
McElwain Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Menassas McElwain, aged 33, landed in Mobile, Ala in 1853
- H. G. McElwain, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1892
- Rebecca McElwain, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1892
- George M. McElwain, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1893
- Cathr. McElwain, aged 17, who emigrated to America, in 1895
McElwain Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Susan McElwain, aged 23, who settled in America from Donegal, in 1905
- James McElwain, aged 26, who settled in America from Monaghan, in 1905
- Aaron McElwain, aged 23, who landed in America from Donegal, in 1905
- William P. McElwain, aged 46, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Eda McElwain, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1908
- Jim McElwain (b. 1962), American football coach
- Frank Arthur McElwain (1875-1957), American bishop of Minnesota in the Episcopal Church
- Annie McElwain, American actress
- Wade Christian McElwain (b. 1972), Canadian comedian, writer, and TV producer
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The McElwain Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McElwain Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 June 2013 at 01:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is