100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish McCool family come from? What is the Irish McCool family crest and coat of arms? When did the McCool family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McCool family history?Irish names tend to vary widely in their spelling and overall form. The original Gaelic form of the name McCool is Mac Giolla Chuille. Cuille has been suggested to be an abbreviation of Mochuille, the name of a saint. However, other origins also exist for this name.
Over the years, McCool has been written It appears under these variations because medieval scribes spelled names according to sound rather than by any over-arching set of rules. Cooley, Cooling, Cowley, Cully, Colly, McCooley, Coaley, Coolyng, Couley, Colley, McCowley, Cooleng, McCoolay, Coolay, Collay, Cullay, Cowleigh, Culleigh and many more.
First found in Ulster, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCool research. Another 231 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1618, 1667, 1743, and 1809 are included under the topic Early McCool History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McCool Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
When these Boernician-Scottish settlers arrived in North America they brought little with them and often had restart their lives from scratch. Through time, much of their heritage was lost, and it is only this century through Clan societies and highland games that many have recovered their national heritage. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the McCool family to immigrate North America:
McCool Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mary McCool, aged 45, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1803
- John McCool, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1813
- James McCool, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Daniel McCool, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Hugh McCool, aged 28, who settled in America from Ruthaglen, in 1899
McCool Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Celia McCool, aged 24, who landed in America from Donegal, in 1902
- Bridget McCool, aged 28, who landed in America from Donegal, in 1902
- Annie McCool, aged 36, who landed in America from Derry, in 1903
- Charles McCool, aged 21, who settled in America from Co. Donegal, in 1903
- Hannah McCool, aged 35, who landed in America from Donegal, in 1903
- William Cameron McCool (1961-2003), American NASA pilot of the Space Shuttle Columbia when it broke up during re-entry
- Lieutenant Richard Miles McCool (1922-2008), American Navy Officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945 for his actions during the Battle of Okinawa
- William John McCool (b. 1944), American Major League Baseball pitcher named a National League All-Star in 1966
- Michelle Leigh McCool (b. 1980), retired American professional wrestler
- Courtney Lynn McCool (b. 1988), American Olympic gymnast
- Seán McCool (d. 1949), prominent Irish Republican
- Maria McCool (b. 1974), Irish singer
- Colin Leslie McCool (1916-1986), Australian cricketer
- Francis McCool (1918-1973), Canadian professional ice hockey goaltender
- Charles Arthur McCool (1853-1926), Canadian politician
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The McCool Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCool Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 November 2013 at 17:56.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!