100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the Scottish McColl family come from? What is the Scottish McColl family crest and coat of arms? When did the McColl family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McColl family history?The old Scottish-Dalriadan name McColl is derived from the Gaelic surname of Scottish origin, which means son of the battle chief.
Translation in medieval times was an undeveloped science and was often carried out without due care. For this reason, many early Scottish names appeared radically altered when written in English. The spelling variations of McColl include MacAll, MacColl, MacCole, MacCall, MacAul, Mccall and others.
First found in Argyllshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McColl research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1602 is included under the topic Early McColl History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McColl Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McColl family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 158 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
These settlers arrived in North America at a time when the east was burgeoning with prosperous colonies and the expanses of the west were just being opened up. The American War of Independence was also imminent. Some Scots stayed to fight for a new country, while others who remained loyal went north as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of them went on to rediscover their heritage in the 20th century through highland games and other patriotic Scottish events. The McColl were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records:
McColl Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- John McColl, who arrived in New York in 1738
- Sara Ann McColl, who landed in North Carolina in 1790
- Margaret McColl, who arrived in New York in 1795
McColl Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel McColl, aged 70, arrived in North Carolina in 1812
- Dugall McColl, aged 46, landed in New York, NY in 1812-1813
- Duncan McColl, aged 58, arrived in North Carolina in 1812
- Hugh McColl, aged 67, landed in North Carolina in 1812
- William McColl, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1851
- Hugh L. McColl Jr (b. 1935), former Chairman and CEO of Bank of America
- William Frazier "Bill" McColl (b. 1930), American former NFL defensive end
- Jimmy McColl (b. 1892), Scottish footballer
- Hugh McColl (1819-1885), Scottish-born irrigation pioneer in Australia
- General Sir John Chalmers McColl KCB, CBE, DSO (b. 1952), Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe
- Hamish McColl (b. 1962), British comedian, writer and actor
- Sir Colin Hugh Verel McColl KCMG (b. 1932), English former Head of the British Secret Intelligence Service from 1989 to 1994
- James Hiers McColl (1844-1929), Australian politician
- Ruth Stephanie McColl AO (b. 1950), Australian judge of the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The McColl Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McColl Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 January 2013 at 23:14.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!