100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish McCloskey family come from? What is the Irish McCloskey family crest and coat of arms? When did the McCloskey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McCloskey family history?The McCloskey surname evolved from the Irish Gaelicnames O Cathain or Mac Cathain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: McCloskey, McCluskey, McClaskey, McCloskie, McLoskie, McCleskey and many more.
First found in County Londonderry (Irish: Doire), a Northern Irish county also known as Derry, in the province of Ulster, where they were a branch of the O'Kanes.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCloskey research. Another 398 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1196, 1617, 1720, 1790, 1810, 1875, and 1885 are included under the topic Early McCloskey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McCloskey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McCloskey Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Patt McCloskey, who arrived in America in 1805
- Charles McCloskey, who landed in America in 1812
- Eliza McCloskey, aged 30, landed in New York, NY in 1833
- James McCloskey, aged 25, landed in New York, NY in 1833
- Jane McCloskey, aged 28, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1833
- Robert McCloskey (1922-1996), American Diplomat and US State Department Spokesman
- Francis Xavier "Frank" McCloskey (1939-2003), Democratic representative from Indiana
- John William "Jack" McCloskey (b. 1925), former American National Basketball Association player, coach, and executive
- Leigh J. McCloskey (b. 1955), American film and television actor
- Robert McCloskey (1914-2003), American author and illustrator of children's books
- Deirdre N. McCloskey (b. 1942), American Professor of Economics, History, English, and Communication at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Delamere Francis McCloskey (1897-1983), Canadian-born, American lawyer who represented the 1st District on the Los Angeles City Council from 1941 to 1945
- John McCloskey (1810-1885), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, Archbishop of New York (1864 until his death in 1885), the first American cardinal
- William George McCloskey (1823-1909), American Catholic priest, Bishop of Louisville, Kentucky
- William George McCloskey (1854-1924), American Major League Baseball who played from one year in 1884
- McClaskeys in Military History by Kenneth L. McClaskey.
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The McCloskey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCloskey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2013 at 21:56.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!