BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Mayfield family come from? What is the English Mayfield family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mayfield family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mayfield family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mayfield, Mayville, Mayfeld, Maifield, Mayfeild and many more.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1210 when Philip Mayfield or Mayville was recorded with estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mayfield research. Another 181 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1642, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Mayfield History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mayfield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mayfield Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Abigail Mayfield who arrived in Virginia in 1677
- Jaen Mayfield who settled in Barbados in 1697
Mayfield Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- William Mayfield who arrived in America in 1774
Mayfield Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Mayfield who settled in Maryland in 1813
- Thomas Mayfield, aged 33, arrived in Maryland in 1813
- John G Mayfield, who landed in New York in 1840
- V Mayfield, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- W Mayfield, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Irvin Mayfield (b. 1977), American jazz musician
- Curtis Mayfield (1942-1999), American soul, funk and R&B singer
- James Jefferson Mayfield (1861-1927), American judge and code commissioner
- Corporal Melvin Mayfield (1919-1990), American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Percy Mayfield (1920-1984), American songwriter, best known for his songs "Hit the Road Jack" and "Please Send Me Someone to Love"
- Jeremy Allen Mayfield (b. 1969), former American NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series driver
- Earle Bradford Mayfield (1881-1964), lawyer and United States senator
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Mayfield Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mayfield Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 June 2012 at 18:24.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is