100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Portuguese, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Matos family come from? What is the Spanish Matos family crest and coat of arms? When did the Matos family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Matos family history?The Matos surname is a habitational name derived from any of numerous places in Portugal and Spain named Mata, from the Spanish word "mata," meaning "wood," or "a forest."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mata, Matas, Matos and others.
First found in Catalonia, in northeastern Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Matos research. Another 423 words(30 lines of text) covering the year 1469 is included under the topic Early Matos History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Matos Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Matos Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Matos, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1881
- Daniel Matos, aged 30, who emigrated to America, in 1893
Matos Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Carlos Matos, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Constantino Matos, aged 40, who landed in America from Baranquilla, Columbia, in 1908
- Anita Matos, aged 15, who landed in America from Palamos, Spain, in 1912
- Antonia Matos, aged 10, who settled in America from Guatemala, Guatemala Cent. Am, in 1915
- Antonio Matos, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States from Corunna, Spain, in 1916
- Eddie Matos (b. 1972), American actor
- Eddie "E-Z" Matos, American disc jockey and music producer from New York City
- Grant Matos (b. 1981), American National Football League wide receiver
- Harry Matos (b. 1911), American football player
- Luis Palés Matos (1898-1959), Puerto Rican poet
- José Carlos Matos (b. 1973), South Africa born, Portuguese guitar player
- André Coelho Matos (b. 1971), the former vocalist, pianist and composer
- Raphael Matos (b. 1981), Brazilian racing driver
- Ángel Valodia Matos (b. 1976), former Cuban taekwondo athlete
- Vasco Miguel Lopes de Matos (b. 1980), Portuguese footballer
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Matos Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Matos Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 August 2014 at 11:43.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!