BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Mata family come from? What is the Spanish Mata family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mata family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mata family history?The Mata surname is a habitational name derived from any of numerous places in Portugal and Spain named Mata, from the Spanish word "mata," meaning "wood," or "a forest."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mata, Matas, Matos and others.
First found in Catalonia, in northeastern Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mata research. Another 423 words(30 lines of text) covering the year 1469 is included under the topic Early Mata History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mata Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Maria Mata who settled in Peru in 1559
Mata Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro De Mata, who landed in America in 1811
- Melchor De Mata, who arrived in America in 1813
- Juan De Mata, who arrived in America in 1813
- Gabriel Mata, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1817
- Gabriel Mata who settled in Puerto Rico in 1817
- Eduardo Mata (1942-1995), Mexican internationally known music conductor
- Mariano de la Mata (1905-1983), Augustinian priest and missionary to Brazil
- Vanessa da Mata (b. 1976), Brazilian singer and composer
- Francisco Mata (b. 1932), Venezuelan singer and composer
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Mata Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mata Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 December 2013 at 12:14.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is