100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Italian, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Manuel family come from? What is the Spanish Manuel family crest and coat of arms? When did the Manuel family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Manuel family history?In Spain, the earliest forms of hereditary surnames were patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Similar to many Spanish patronymic names, the distinguished surname Manuel is a proud sign of a rich and ancient ancestry having derived from the Hebrew personal name Imanuel, which means God is with us.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Manuel, Manueles and others.
First found in Castile, one of the most important Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Manuel research. Another 413 words(30 lines of text) covering the years 1282 and 1349 are included under the topic Early Manuel History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 36 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Manuel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Diego Manuel, who sailed to Dominican Republic in 1535
- Juan Manuel sailed to Florida in 1563
- Inés Manuel sailed to Peru in 1576
- Luis Manuel sailed to Peru in 1592
Manuel Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Joaquin Manuel, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- David Manuel, aged 46, arrived in New York in 1812
- John Manuel, who landed in New York in 1822
- Jarora Manuel, aged 22, landed in New Orleans, La in 1825
- Chas Manuel, aged 35, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Robert Mehmet Manuel (b. 1983), American professional baseball relief pitcher
- Charles Fuqua Manuel Jr. (b. 1944), former American Major League Baseball player
- Nikolaus Manuel (1484-1530), Swiss painter
- Peter Manuel (1931-1958), Scottish criminal perpetrator
- Odell Manuel (b. 1978), former New Zealand rugby league player
- Louis Pierre Manuel (1751-1793), French writer and political figure of the Revolution
- Richard George Manuel (1943-1986), Canadian composer, singer, and multi-instrumentalist
- Trevor Andrew Manuel (b. 1956), South African politician
- Jay Manuel (b. 1972), Canadian make-up artist, fashion photographer, and model
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
The Manuel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Manuel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 January 2014 at 10:18.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!