100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Manrique family come from? What is the Spanish Manrique family crest and coat of arms? When did the Manrique family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Manrique family history?The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Similar to many Spanish patronymic names, the distinguished surname Manrique is a proud sign of a rich and ancient ancestry. Checking further we found the name was derived from the medieval given name Manrique, which is composed of the Germanic elements mann, which means man and ric, which means power. Thus, the name Manrique was given to a man of great strength and power.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Manrique, Manrico, Malrico, Almerique, Iambic and many more.
First found in Old Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Manrique research. Another 211 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1203, 1238, 1585, and 1590 are included under the topic Early Manrique History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 169 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Manrique Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Andrés Manrique, who sailed to America in 1528
- Melchor Manrique sailed to Peru in 1534
- Pedro Manrique sailed to Cartagena in 1535
- Leonardo Manrique sailed to Hispaniola in 1538
- Juan Manrique sailed to Hispaniola in 1567
Manrique Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Ramon Manrique, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Andres Manrique, who landed in America in 1828
- Melchor Manrique, who landed in Peru in 1834
- Pedro Manrique, who arrived in Cartagena in 1835
- Leonardo Manrique, who arrived in Dominican Republic in 1838
- Gómez Manrique (1412-1490), Spanish poet
- Manuel Manrique, Puerto Rican novelist, author of Island in Harlem (1966)
- Jaime Manrique (b. 1949), Colombian American author, poet, and journalist
- César Manrique (1919-1992), Canarian artist and architect
- Fred Manrique (b. 1961), Venezuelan Major League Baseball player
- Francisco Manrique (1919-1988), Argentine naval officer, journalist, policy maker and presidential candidate
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
The Manrique Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Manrique Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 May 2012 at 12:18.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!