BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German, Scottish
Where did the English Magness family come from? What is the English Magness family crest and coat of arms? When did the Magness family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Magness family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Magnus, Manus, MacVanish, Magnusson, Magnuson, Magnos, Magnes, Magnusson, Magnuss, MacVinish, McWeynish and many more.
First found in Shetland where they held a family seat in their territories in the Orkneys. The Viking influence of northern Scotland developed as a stepping stone to Iceland from Scandinavia. Many Viking expeditions were started from the Orkneys and the northern tip. Rollo, first Duke of Normandy, started his conquest of that part of France as an expeditionary from here. Hugo Magnus was found at 1114.  Later the name was found in Cortance, Aberdeen in the 17th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Magness research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1047, 1510, 1600 and 1420 are included under the topic Early Magness History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Magness Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Magness Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- J.Q. Magness, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Johanna Magness, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1894
- Emily Magness, aged 35, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Magness Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Wm. H. Magness, aged 43, who emigrated to America, in 1909
- Hersch Magness, aged 11, who landed in America from Lodz, Russia, in 1911
- Margaret Magness, aged 60, who landed in America, in 1915
- Thomas M. Magness, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States, in 1915
- William Magness, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1919
- Gary Magness, American businessman and Oscar and BAFTA nominated film producer
- Arthur Gray Magness (1920-1980), American real estate developer, responsible for the neighborhoods of Graylyn Crest and the Cedar Tree apartments of Claymonin, New Castle County, Delaware
- Diana Magness (b. 1981), British actress, best known for her role as Evelyn Wright in 40 episodes of BBC children's drama series Grange Hill (1997 to 2001)
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Magness Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Magness Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 June 2012 at 15:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is