100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German, Scottish
Where did the English Magness family come from? What is the English Magness family crest and coat of arms? When did the Magness family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Magness family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Magnus, Manus, MacVanish, Magnusson, Magnuson, Magnos, Magnes, Magnusson, Magnuss, MacVinish, McWeynish and many more.
First found in Shetland where they held a family seat in their territories in the Orkneys. The Viking influence of northern Scotland developed as a stepping stone to Iceland from Scandinavia. Many Viking expeditions were started from the Orkneys and the northern tip. Rollo, first Duke of Normandy, started his conquest of that part of France as an expeditionary from here. Hugo Magnus was found at 1114.  Later the name was found in Cortance, Aberdeen in the 17th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Magness research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1047, 1510, 1600 and 1420 are included under the topic Early Magness History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Magness Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Magness Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- J.Q. Magness, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Johanna Magness, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1894
- Emily Magness, aged 35, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Magness Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Wm. H. Magness, aged 43, who emigrated to America, in 1909
- Hersch Magness, aged 11, who landed in America from Lodz, Russia, in 1911
- Margaret Magness, aged 60, who landed in America, in 1915
- Thomas M. Magness, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States, in 1915
- William Magness, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1919
- Gary Magness, American businessman and Oscar and BAFTA nominated film producer
- Arthur Gray Magness (1920-1980), American real estate developer, responsible for the neighborhoods of Graylyn Crest and the Cedar Tree apartments of Claymonin, New Castle County, Delaware
- Diana Magness (b. 1981), British actress, best known for her role as Evelyn Wright in 40 episodes of BBC children's drama series Grange Hill (1997 to 2001)
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
The Magness Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Magness Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 June 2012 at 15:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!