An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Maggard family come from? What is the Scottish Maggard family crest and coat of arms? When did the Maggard family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Maggard family history?As a surname, Maggard is derived from the Scandinavian personal name Magnus. The name was born by King of Norway Magnus the Good, who died in 1047. It made its way to Britain through the Danish invasions of Northeastern Britain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Magnus, Manus, MacVanish, Magnusson, Magnuson, Magnos, Magnes, Magnusson, Magnuss, MacVinish, McWeynish, MacVinis and many more.
First found in Shetland, where they held a family seat in their territories in the Orkneys. The Viking influence of northern Scotland developed as a stepping stone to Iceland from Scandinavia. Many Viking expeditions were started from the Orkneys and the northern tip. Rollo, first Duke of Normandy, started his conquest of that part of France as an expeditionary from here. Hugo Magnus was found at 1114. Later the name was found in Cortance, Aberdeen in the 17th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maggard research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1047, 1510, 1600 and 1420 are included under the topic Early Maggard History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Maggard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Maggard Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
The Maggard Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Maggard Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 June 2012 at 15:06.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.