BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Madigan family come from? What is the Irish Madigan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Madigan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Madigan family history?The surname Madigan originally appeared in Gaelic as "Mac an Mhadaidh," which is probably derived from the word "madadh," which means dog.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacAvaddy, Madden, O'Madden, Madigan, Macavadan and others.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Madigan research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1556, 1567, 1677, 1715, 1713 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Madigan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Madigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Madigan Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James, John, Thomas, Walter Madigan arrived in Philadelphia and Boston in 1804
- John Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- Walter Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- William Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Judy Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Amy Madigan (b. 1950), American actress
- Edward Rell Madigan (1936-1994), American politician from Illinois, congressman and Secretary of Agriculture
- Kathleen Madigan (b. 1965), American television comedian
- Lisa Madigan (b. 1966), American politician from Illinois, Illinois state Attorney General
- Michael Madigan (b. 1942), American politician from Illinois, congressman
- Edward Patrick "Slip" Madigan (1896-1966), American college football player at Notre Dame University
- Miss Margaret "Maggie" Madigan, aged 21, Irish Third Class passenger from Askeaton, Limerick who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived in the sinking in life boat 15
- Cecil Madigan (1889-1947), Australian explorer, geologist, and Rhodes Scholar
- Colin Madigan (b. 1921), Australian architect
- Elvira Madigan (1867-1889), Danish ropedancer and trick rider, eponym of a film
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Madigan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Madigan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 May 2014 at 06:31.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is