100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Madigan family come from? What is the Irish Madigan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Madigan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Madigan family history?The surname Madigan originally appeared in Gaelic as "Mac an Mhadaidh," which is probably derived from the word "madadh," which means dog.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacAvaddy, Madden, O'Madden, Madigan, Macavadan and others.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Madigan research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1556, 1567, 1677, 1715, 1713 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Madigan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Madigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Madigan Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James, John, Thomas, Walter Madigan arrived in Philadelphia and Boston in 1804
- John Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- Walter Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- William Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Judy Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Amy Madigan (b. 1950), American actress
- Edward Rell Madigan (1936-1994), American politician from Illinois, congressman and Secretary of Agriculture
- Kathleen Madigan (b. 1965), American television comedian
- Lisa Madigan (b. 1966), American politician from Illinois, Illinois state Attorney General
- Michael Madigan (b. 1942), American politician from Illinois, congressman
- Edward Patrick "Slip" Madigan (1896-1966), American college football player at Notre Dame University
- Miss Margaret "Maggie" Madigan, aged 21, Irish Third Class passenger from Askeaton, Limerick who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived in the sinking in life boat 15
- Cecil Madigan (1889-1947), Australian explorer, geologist, and Rhodes Scholar
- Colin Madigan (b. 1921), Australian architect
- Elvira Madigan (1867-1889), Danish ropedancer and trick rider, eponym of a film
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Madigan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Madigan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 May 2014 at 06:31.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!