BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Jewish
Where did the English Lott family come from? What is the English Lott family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lott family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lott family history?The Lott surname is derived from a medieval given name of uncertain origins.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lot, Lott, Loth, Lots and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1162 when Alwin Loth held estates in that shire. In 1275 William Lot held in Suffolk.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lott research. Another 284 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Lott History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Lott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lott Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Peter Lott, who landed in New Jersey in 1652
- Pieter Lott, who arrived in Long Island in 1652-1653
- Mary Lott, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
- Wm Lott, who landed in Virginia in 1662
Lott Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Johs Lott, who landed in New York in 1709
Lott Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Weigant Lott, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- G W Lott, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- McConnell Lott, aged 27, arrived in New York in 1854
- John Lott, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1861
- Friedrich Lott, who landed in Ohio in 1869
- Trent Lott, American Republican senator from Mississippi
- George Lott (1906-1991), American tennis player and tennis coach, five-time US. doubles champion, inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1964
- Ronald Mandel "Ronnie" Lott (b. 1959), former American NFL football player
- Dame Felicity Lott DBE FRAM FRCM (b. 1947), English soprano
- Barbara Lott (1920-2002), British actress
- Brigadier Frank Melville Lott (b. 1896), Director-General of Canadian Dental Services (1939-1946)
- Werner Lott (1907-1997), German U-boat commander in World War II taken prisoner after his boat was scuttled; he was kept in the Tower of London and later moved to a POW camp in Canada
- Descendants of Cornelius Peter Lott by Rhea Lott Vance.
- The Descendants of Benjamin Franklin through the Bache-Lott-Birt Line by Philip S. Hessinger.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Lott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 June 2014 at 14:28.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is