100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Liddell family come from? What is the Scottish Liddell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Liddell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Liddell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Liddell, Liddel, Liddall, Liddle and others.
First found in Roxburghshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Liddell research. Another 179 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1202, 1300, and 1400 are included under the topic Early Liddell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Liddell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Liddell Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Liddell, who landed in Virginia in 1657
Liddell Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Liddell, who landed in Mississippi in 1841
- J Liddell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Robert Liddell, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1859
- Alice Pleasance Liddell (1852-1934), American girl who was the inspiration for children's classic "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll
- Emilie Autumn Liddell (b. 1979), known by her stage name Emilie Autumn, an American singer-songwriter, poet, and violinist
- St.John Richardson Liddell (1815-1870), American Louisiana planter and general in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War
- Eric Henry Liddell (1902-1945), Scottish athlete, winner of the Men's 400 meters at the Olympic Games of 1924, his life was immortalized in the film "Chariots of Fire"
- Andrew Mark "Andy" Liddell (b. 1973), Scottish former football midfielder
- Rev. Thomas Liddell (1800-1880), Scottish-born first Principal of Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario (1841-1846)
- Dr. Frank Liddell (1862-1939), Australian politician, Member of the Australian Parliament for Hunter (1903-1910)
- Helen Lawrie Liddell (b. 1950), Baroness Liddell of Coatdyke is a British Labour Party politician
- Henry George Liddell (1811-1898), English academic, Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University (1870-1874), father of Alice Liddell
- Henry Liddell (1708-1784), 1st Baron Ravensworth, English peer and politician, Member of Parliament for Morpeth (1734-1747)
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Hinc odor et sanitas
Motto Translation: Hence fragrance and health.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Liddell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Liddell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 February 2014 at 20:29.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!