BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Levine family come from? What is the English Levine family crest and coat of arms? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Levine family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Levins, Levinz, Leving, Levings, Living, Livins, Levinge and many more.
First found in Westmorland where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century where they held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Levine research. Another 313 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1435, 1095, 1412, 1556, 1455, 1487, 1678, 1678, 1607, 1625, 1698, 1673, 1698 and 1693 are included under the topic Early Levine History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Levine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Levine Settlers in the 19th Century
- Edward Levine, aged 32, arrived in Auckland aboard the ship "Duchess of Argyle" in 1842
- David Levine (b. 1926), American artist and illustrator best known for his caricatures
- James Levine (b. 1943), American orchestral pianist and conductor and most well known as the music director of the Metropolitan Opera in New York
- Philip Levine (b. 1928), American poet awarded the 1995 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry
- Raphael David Levine (b. 1938), Israeli chemist, co-winner of the 1988 Wolf Prize
- Adam Noah Levine (b. 1979), American three-time Grammy Award winning singer-songwriter, musician and actor, best known as the lead vocalist of pop rock band Maroon 5
- Jesse Levine (b. 1987), Canadian professional tennis player, ranked World No. 69 on October 1, 2012
- Alan Brian "Al" Levine (b. 1968), American former Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Charles Albert Levine (1897-1991), American first passenger aboard a transatlantic flight
- Brian Levine (b. 1958), South African former tennis player
- Irwin Jesse Levine (1938-1997), American songwriter, best known for co-writing "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree" with L. Russell Brown
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
The Levine Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Levine Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 March 2014 at 14:14.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is