An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German, Italian, Swiss
Where did the Italian Leopold family come from? What is the Italian Leopold family crest and coat of arms? When did the Leopold family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Leopold family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lippi, Lipamano, Lipoldi, Lippa, Lippo, Leopoldi, Leopoldo and many more.
First found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), originally the capital of Tuscany, then capital of the kingdom of Italy. On the River Arno there are numerous Florentine Churches, Museums, Galleries. It dates back to 313 A.D. The history is complex and turbulent. The de' Medici family are the notables. They were expelled in 1494 but they returned in 1512, out in 1527 and then returned. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leopold research. Another 213 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1384, 1457, 1504, 1606 and 1665 are included under the topic Early Leopold History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leopold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Leopold Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
Leopold Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
The Leopold Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Leopold Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 November 2013 at 11:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.