100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German, Jewish
Where did the English Lehman family come from? What is the English Lehman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Lehman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lehman family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Lehman comes from the baptismal name for the son of Leman, which was taken from the personal name Liefman.
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Lehman were recorded, including Leaman, Leamen, Leman, Lemon, Lemmon, Leemon, Limon and many more.
First found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lehman research. Another 165 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1185, 1616, 1616, 1st , 1667, 1645, 1660, 1637, 1701, 1690 and 1695 are included under the topic Early Lehman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lehman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Lehman family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 101 words(7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Lehman family emigrate to North America:
Lehman Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Philip Theodore Lehman, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1682
Lehman Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Clemens Lehman who went to New York with his wife Anna Gertraud Wolf Lehman, in 1713
- Hans Lehman who settled in Philadelphia, in 1721 with his wife Anna Hege Lehman and their three children
- Hans Jerig Lehman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Johanis Lehman, aged 1, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1731
- Kathrina Lehman, aged 3, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1731
Lehman Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Lehman, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Daniel Lehman, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Christ Lehman, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- Catherine Lehman went to New York, NY in 1824
- Charles Lehman, aged 21, landed in New York, NY in 1832
- Herbert Henry Lehman (1878-1963), American eminent businessman and politician, who was the Governor of New York for eight years and later became a Senator
- Thomas Edward Lehman (b. 1959), American professional golfer
- Irving Lehman (1876-1945), American lawyer and politician
- Herbert Henry Lehman (1878-1963), American Democratic Party politician
- David Lehman (b. 1948), poet and the series editor for The Best American Poetry series
- Ernest Lehman (1915-2005), American screenwriter
- Robert Lehman (1891-1969), American banker, head of Lehman Brothers for decades
- Teddy Lehman (b. 1981), American football linebacker
- Richard Henry "Rick" Lehman (b. 1948), former member of the United States House of Representatives
- Philip Lehman (1861-1947), Jewish-American investment banker, co-founder of investment bank, Lehman Brothers
- A Tree in a Forest: Linnaeus Sheetz Lehman by Thomas R. Lehman.
- Descendants of John Daniel Lehman by Naomi Irene Shaum.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Lehman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lehman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 January 2013 at 11:23.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!