BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish lawlor family come from? What is the Irish lawlor family crest and coat of arms? When did the lawlor family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the lawlor family history?The family name lawlor has an intrinsic connection to the Gaelic culture of Ireland. The original Gaelic form of the name lawlor is O Leathlobhair, which is derived from the words leath, which means half, and lobhar, which means sick person or leper.
Pronunciation, rather than spelling, was what guided scribes and church officials in recording names, a practice that often led to the misleading result of one person's name being recorded under several different spellings. Numerous spelling variations of the surname lawlor are preserved in documents that were examined for evidence of the family's history. The various spellings of lawlor included Lawlor, Lalor, O'Lalor, O'Lawlor and others.
First found in County Leix (Irish: Laois) formerly known as Queen's County, located in central Ireland, in Leinster Province, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lawlor research. Another 380 words(27 lines of text) covering the year 1854 is included under the topic Early lawlor History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 73 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lawlor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
North America received thousands of Irish immigrants from the English-ruled Ireland during the 19th century. Once in the United States or what would become Canada, these immigrants quickly contributed to the ongoing settling and industrialization processes. The largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine of the late 1840s. An exhaustive examination of immigrant and passenger lists has shown many early immigrants bearing the surname of lawlor:
lawlor Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Lawrence Lawlor, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1835
- William Lawlor, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1836
- Anne Lawlor, aged 11, landed in New York in 1854
- Denis Lawlor, aged 13, landed in New York in 1854
- Thomas Joseph "Tom" Lawlor (b. 1983), American mixed martial artist
- Robert Lawlor (b. 1939), mythographer, symbologist and New Age author of several books
- Charles B. Lawlor (1852-1925), American vaudeville performer and composer of popular songs
- Gerri Lawlor, American actress and voice actor
- Edward G. Lawlor (1907-1987), American minister and general superintendent in the Church of the Nazarene
- Michael H. Lawlor (1854-1918), American Major League Baseball catcher
- Liam Aloysius Lawlor (1944-2005), Irish politician
- James J. Lawlor (b. 1933), Irish former professional footballer
- Sean Lawlor (1954-2009), Irish character actor and playwright
- Éamonn Lawlor (b. 1951), Irish radio broadcaster
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
The lawlor Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The lawlor Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 August 2013 at 02:42.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is