BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English lawless family come from? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the lawless family history?The surname lawless is derived from the Old English word "laweles," which means "lawless" and is ultimately derived from the Old English word "laghles," which means "outlaw." As a surname, lawless came from a nickname for a person who was an outlaw, or was uncontrolled or unrestrained.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lawless, Lawlesse, Lawles and others.
First found in Yorkshire, where the first on record was Thomas Lagheles, listed in the Register of the Freemen of the City of York in 1360.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lawless research. Another 81 words(6 lines of text) covering the years 1533, 1735, 1789, and 1799 are included under the topic Early lawless History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lawless Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the lawless family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
lawless Settlers in the 17th Century
- Nich Lawless, who landed in Virginia in 1698
lawless Settlers in the 18th Century
- Patrick Lawless, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
- Cornelius Lawless, who arrived in Virginia in 1715
- James Lawless who settled in Virginia in 1739
- Maras Lawless, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Mary Lawless, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
lawless Settlers in the 19th Century
- Mathew Lawless, aged 30, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- Peter Lawless, who landed in New York in 1839
- Rose Lawless, aged 41, landed in New York, NY in 1849
- M Lawless, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- George Lawless arrived in Adelaide aboard the ship "Asia" in 1851
- Terry Lawless (1933-2009), English boxing manager and trainer
- John "Jack" Lawless (b. 1987), American musician
- Thomas James "Tom" Lawless (b. 1956), American Major League Baseball player who played from 1982 to 1990
- Lucy Lawless MNZM (b. 1968), born Lucille Frances Ryan, New Zealand actress and singer, best known for playing the title character of the television series Xena: Warrior Princess
- Emily Lawless (1845-1913), Irish novelist and poet
- Theodore K Lawless (1892-1971), American dermatologist, medical researcher, and philanthropist
- Nicholas Lawless (1735-1799), Irish wool merchant, banker and politician, Member of Parliament for Lifford (1776-1789), created 1st Baron Cloncurry in the Peerage of Ireland, in 1789
- Alexander Graham "Alex" Lawless (b. 1985), Welsh professional footballer
- Steven Lawless (b. 1991), Scottish professional footballer
- Valentine Brown Lawless (1773-1853), 2nd Baron Cloncurry, was an Irish politician and landowner
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
This page was last modified on 3 February 2012 at 12:35.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is