BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish latta family come from? What is the Scottish latta family crest and coat of arms? When did the latta family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the latta family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Latto, Lawtie, Laithis, Lautie, Latta, Lattay, Lathes, Lawta, Lawty, Lawtye, Lawtay, Lathis and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat on the lands of Lathis from very early times. The first recorded Chief of the name was Thomas Laithis "of that Ilk.".
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our latta research. Another 259 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1350, 1518, 1587, 1628, 1646, 1648, 1695, 1720, and 1766 are included under the topic Early latta History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early latta Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
latta Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- William Latta settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1768
latta Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- William Latta, who landed in America in 1807
- Robert Latta, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1814
- Anson Latta settled in Plainfield in 1830
- Albert Latta settled in Phillipston, in Thurlow township in 1834
- Colvin Latta, who landed in America in 1862
- Hugh Lusk Latta, American interior designer of Corinth, Mississippi
- Delbert Leroy "Del" Latta (b. 1920), American politician, Member of the United States House of Representatives from Ohio (1959-1989)
- Ivory Latta (b. 1984), American professional basketball player
- James P. Latta, Nebraska politician
- Christopher Lawence Latta (1949-1994), birth name of Christopher Charles Collins, American voice actor
- Robert Edward "Bob" Latta (b. 1956), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio (2007-)
- Ivory Latta (b. 1984), American professional WNBA basketball player
- Reg Latta, Australian rugby league footballer
- David Gilliland Latta (1869-1948), Canadian politician and police officer with the North-West Mounted Police, Alderman on the Edmonton City Council (1905-1906)
- David Latta (b. 1967), Canadian former professional NHL ice hockey left winger from Thunder Bay, Ontario who played 36 games with the Quebec Nordiques
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The latta Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The latta Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 November 2013 at 14:42.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is