100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Where did the German Klotz family come from? What is the German Klotz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Klotz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Klotz family history?The ancient and distinguished German surname Klotz is derived from the old Germanic term "Klotz," meaning "awkward, clumsy." The name was most likely initially bestowed as a nickname, either on someone who was clumsy or in an ironic way on someone who was exceptionally graceful.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Klotz, Klottz, Klotzz, Klots, Klotze, Klotzes, Klottze, Klottzz, Klutz, Clotz, Cloete and many more.
First found in Hessen, where the family was closely identified in the early period of history with the feudal society which would become prominent throughout Europe. The Klotzes would later emerge as an influential noble family, having many distinguished branches, and well known for their involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The earliest known bearer of the name was Berchtolt Klotz, who is registered in the "Furstenbergisches Urkundenbuch" in 1343.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Klotz research. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 1606, 1668, 1738, 1764, 1771, 1773, and 1790 are included under the topic Early Klotz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 32 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Klotz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Georg Klotz, a Hessian mercenary who settled in America after fighting in the Revolutionary War
Klotz Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Catharina Klotz, who emigrated from the Palatinate to New York in 1710
- Sophia Catharina Klotz, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1717
- Ludwig Klotz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Hans Leonhard Klotz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Johann Jacob Klotz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
Klotz Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Philip Klotz, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- George Klotz, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1833
- Henry Klotz, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- Johannes Klotz, aged 23, landed in Missouri in 1841
- Frederick Klotz, aged 50, landed in Missouri in 1847
- Robert Klotz (1819-1895), American democrat, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania
- Irving Myron Klotz (b. 1916), well-known American chemist and author
- Florence Klotz (1920-2006), American Tony award winning costume designer on Broadway and film
- Günther Klotz (b. 1911), mayor in Germany
- Eva Klotz (b. 1951), teacher and provincial advisor in Italy
- The Descendants of Johann Jacob Klotz in America by Ralph Dean Kluttz.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
The Klotz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Klotz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 October 2013 at 00:02.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!