BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Irish Killilea family come from? What is the Irish Killilea family crest and coat of arms? When did the Killilea family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Killilea family history?The surname Killilea comes from the original Irish Mac Giolla Leith, meaning son of a devotee of Leith.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacKillilea, Killilea, MacGillilea, Killileagh and many more.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where the MacGiolla Leith belong to the Clan of Ui Maine.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Killilea research. Another 99 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Killilea History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Killilea Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Killilea Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Killilea, who immigrated to New York in 1849
- Bridget and Jon Killilea, who landed in New York in 1849
- Honora and Mary A. Killilea, who arrived in New York in 1856
- Patrick Killilea, who landed in New York in 1867
- Marie Killilea (1913-1991), author of children's books based on the real life story of the Killilea family
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
The Killilea Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Killilea Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 July 2014 at 15:36.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is