An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Kerwood family come from? What is the Scottish Kerwood family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kerwood family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kerwood family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kirkwood, Kirkward and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kerwood research. Another 176 words(13 lines of text) covering the year 1526 is included under the topic Early Kerwood History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kerwood Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Kerwood family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 261 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: James Kirkwood who settled in New Jersey in 1685 with Elizabeth; Captain James Kirkwood settled in Boston in 1758; William Kirkwood settled in Boston in 1716.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Spes mea in Deo
Motto Translation: My hope is in God.
The Kerwood Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kerwood Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 October 2013 at 08:07.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.