An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the English Kennion family come from? What is the English Kennion family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kennion family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kennion family history?The origins of the Kennion name come from when the Anglo-Saxon tribes ruled over Britain. The name Kennion was originally derived from a family having lived in the township of Kenyon found in the parish of Winwick in the county of Lancashire.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Kennion include Kenyon, Kenion, Kennion and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kennion research. Another 266 words(19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kennion History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Kennion Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Kennion family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 116 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants: Henry Kenyon arrived in Philadelphia in 1795; Bernard, James, Peter, Robert, Samuel and Thomas Kenyon all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860..
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Magnanimiter crucem sustine
Motto Translation: Sustain the cross (i.e. support afflictions) with magnanimity.
The Kennion Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kennion Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 October 2010 at 13:43.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.