100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the German Kempfer family come from? What is the German Kempfer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kempfer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kempfer family history?The Kempfer name is derived from the Middle High German word "kampf," meaning "fight;" thus it may have originally been an occupational name for a successful fighter; or perhaps a nickname for someone known to lose his temper.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kempfer, Kempner, Klemptner, Klempfer, Klimpfer, Klimptner, Klentner, Klintner, Klenptfer, Klenptner, Kimpner and many more.
First found in the Rhineland, where this family was a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always influential in social affairs, the family became an integral part of that turbulent region as it forged alliances with other families within the region and the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kempfer research. Another 177 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1651 and 1716 are included under the topic Early Kempfer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kempfer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kempfer Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Heinrich and Anna Kempfer, and their four children who came to Philadelphia in 1753
Kempfer Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- John Kempfer, who came to Iowa in 1848
- Gerhard H Kempfer, who arrived in Iowa in 1848
- John Kempfer, who landed in Iowa in 1848
- Aug. ... Kempfer, aged 34, who landed in America from Colnen, in 1893
- Cath. Kempfer, aged 26, who settled in America from Coln, in 1893
Kempfer Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- William Kempfer, aged 48, who landed in America from Stettin, in 1900
- Julia Kempfer, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from Resten, in 1901
- Franz Kempfer, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Nagy Zsam, Hungary, in 1906
- Fritz Kempfer, aged 22, who settled in America from Hamburg, Germany, in 1914
- Franciska Kempfer, aged 47, who landed in America from Kaisers Lautern, Germany, in 1922
- Hannah Jensen Kempfer (1880-1943), Minnesota schoolteacher, farmer and politician
- Kelvin T Kempfer, Associate Professor of Computer & Information Systems at Central Oregon Community College
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Kempfer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kempfer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 October 2013 at 14:31.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!