BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: Irish-Alt, Irish
Where did the Irish Kane family come from? What is the Irish Kane family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kane family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kane family history?The surname Kane is an old Irish name that originally appeared in Gaelic as O Cathain or Mac Cathain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kane, Kayne, O'Kane, Cain, O'Cain and others.
First found in County Londonderry (Irish: Doire), a Northern Irish county also known as Derry, in the province of Ulster.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kane research. Another 447 words(32 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1196, 1617, and 1875 are included under the topic Early Kane History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kane Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kane Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- John Kane, who arrived in Maryland in 1674
Kane Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jeremiah Kane, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1767
- Cornelous Kane, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1787
Kane Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Jno Kane, aged 24, landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Isa Kane, who landed in America in 1805
- Andw Kane, who arrived in America in 1805
- Margt Kane, who landed in America in 1805
- Wm Kane, who arrived in America in 1805
- Carol Kane (b. 1952), American actress who played the wife of Andy Kaufman's character on the televison show "Taxi"
- Art Kane (1925-1995), born Arthur Kanofsky, American fashion and music photographer
- John Kane (1860-1934), Scottish-born, American painter
- Robert "Bob" Kane (1915-1998), born Robert Kahn, American comic book artist, creator of Batman, inductee to the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame (1996)
- Elisha Kent Kane (1820-1857), American medical officer in the United States Navy, member of two Arctic expeditions to rescue the explorer Sir John Franklin
- Thomas L. Kane (1822-1883), American Civil War general and founder of Kane, Pennsylvania
- Daniel M. Kane (b. 1986), American mathematician, two-time gold medalist at the International Mathematical Olympiad
- Brigadier-General Clarence Peyton Kane (1890-1964), American Commanding General Atlantic Overseas Service Command (1945-1946)
- Brigadier-General Paul Vincent Kane (1892-1959), American Chief of Operations Group, Plans Section, Army Field Forces (1947-1949)
- Gregory Kane (1952-2014), American Pulitzer Prize nominated journalist and political and social commentator
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
The Kane Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kane Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 March 2014 at 00:48.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is