100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: German-Alt, German
Where did the German Kahl family come from? What is the German Kahl family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kahl family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kahl family history?The surname Kahl is a nickname surname; it is derived from a nickname given to the original bearer. A broad and miscellaneous class of surnames, nickname surnames referred to a characteristic of the first person who used the name. They can describe the bearer's favored style of clothing, appearance, habits, or character. In this case, the nickname is derived from the German word "kahl," which means "bald."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kahl, Kahle, Kahler, Kahlen, Kahlert, Kahlere, Kahll, Kahller, Kal, Kall, Kale, Kaler, Kaller, Cal, Cahl, Cahle, Cahler and many more.
First found in Lusatia, where the family was anciently associated with the political and religious conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. The family founded numerous branches, many of which acquired manors and estates in surrounding regions, where they contributed to the prosperity of their society. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles of Silesia include Nickel Kaler of Glatz (c.1384,) and Frenczel Kaler of Goerlitz (c.1434).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kahl research. Another 313 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1775, 1786, 1792, 1812, 1813, and 1837 are included under the topic Early Kahl History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kahl Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kahl Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Wilhelm Kahl, who arrived in New York City in 1709
- Johann Wilhelm Kahl, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Johannes Kahl came to Philadelphia in 1741
- Anna Maria Kahl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Jacob Kahl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
Kahl Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Kahl, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1830
- Charles Kahl, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Johann Jakob Kahl, who landed in North America in 1847
- Joh Sylvester Kahl, who landed in America in 1850
- Joh Wilh Kahl, who arrived in America in 1850
- Milt Kahl (1909-1987), American animator for Disney Studios, one of Disney's Nine Old Men who created Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Bambi and many more
- Nicholas Alexander Kahl (1879-1959), American Major League Baseball second baseman
- Chris Kahl (b. 1977), American musician
- Robb Kahl, American lawyer and politician,Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly from the 47th district
- Nick Kahl, American politician, Member of the Oregon House of Representatives from the 49th district (2009-2011)
- Bruno Kahl (1914-1999), German Oberstleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Joachim Kahl (b. 1941), German freelance philosopher
- Helmuth Kahl (1901-1974), German bronze medalist pentathlete at the 1928 Summer Olympics
- Raymond Kahl (1974-2000), Papua New Guinean rugby league player at the 2000 World Cup
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
The Kahl Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kahl Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 July 2014 at 21:24.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!