100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Spanish Jimenez family come from? What is the Spanish Jimenez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Jimenez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Jimenez family history?The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Jimenez. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is "ez."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jiménez, Jimenez, Giménez, Gimenez, Siménez, Simenez, Geméniz, Gemeniz, Jeméniz, Jemeniz, Ximénez, Ximenez, Gímez, Gimez, Jimeno and many more.
First found in Old Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jimenez research. Another 171 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1101, 1246, 1170, 1247, 1436 and 1517 are included under the topic Early Jimenez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 181 words(13 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Jimenez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada, conquistador of New Granada (Colombia) and founder of the city of Bogotá
- Francisco Jiménez, who emigrated to Chile in 1560
- María Jiménez, to Colombia in 1560
- Lorenzo Jiménez, to Mexico in 1560
- Juana Jiménez, to Nicaragua in 1561
Jimenez Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Mari Jimenez, who arrived in America in 1811
- Ana Jimenez, who landed in America in 1812
- Anton Jimenez, who arrived in America in 1812
- Juan Jimenez, who landed in America in 1812
- Blas Jimenez, who arrived in America in 1812
- Jason Jimenez (b. 1976), American professional baseball player
- Jerónimo Jiménez (1854-1923), Spanish composer
- Juan Ramon Jimenez (1881-1958), Spanish poet, winner of the 1956 Nobel Prize for Literature
- José Luján Jiménez (b. 1927), Spanish composer and orchestra conductor
- Ana Belén Palomo Jiménez (b. 1977), Spanish freestyle swimmer
- Gonzalo Cuéllar Jiménez, Bolivian publisher and novelist
- Enrique A Jiménez (1888-1970), former President of Panama
- Jose Alfredo Jimenez (1926-1973), Latin music artist of the 50's and 60's
- Arturo Tinoco Jiménez (b. 1893), civil engineer from Costa Rica
- Ubaldo Jiménez García (b. 1984), Dominican Republic Major League Baseball starting pitcher for the Cleveland Indians
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
The Jimenez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Jimenez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 February 2014 at 17:35.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!