100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Jacoby family come from? What is the German Jacoby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Jacoby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Jacoby family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jacobsen, Jacobson, Jacobs, Jacobse, Jacob, Jacober, Jacobi, Jacobie, Jacoby, Jacobsohn, Jacobssohn, Jakobs, Jakober, Jakobsohn, Jacobsson, Jakobsson, Jakobssohn, Jakobsen, Jakobi, Jakobson, Jakobie and many more.
First found in Silesia, where the name was an integral part of a feudal society which would shape modern European history. Many prominent branches of the family would strive to make this name renowned as they contributed to the social, economic and political affairs of the region. In the Middle Ages, the name referred back to the Apostel Jacobus, whose grave in Spain was a popular goal for pilgrimage. These pilgrims from Germany became known as "Jacobsbrueder" (Jacobs-brothers).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jacoby research. Another 289 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1685, 1734, 1740, 1743, 1814, 1817, and 1819 are included under the topic Early Jacoby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 75 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Jacoby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Jacoby Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jost Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Ernst Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Johann Nickel Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Johann Peter Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Conrad Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1764
Jacoby Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806
- Charles Jacoby to Philadelphia in 1840
- Henry Edward Jacoby to Philadelphia in 1842
- Wolf Marcus Jacoby, who landed in New York, NY in 1849
- Otto Jacoby, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
- Joseph Erwin Jacoby (b. 1959), former American football offensive lineman
- Henry Sylvester Jacoby (b. 1857), American educator
- Brook Wallace Jacoby (b. 1959), former American Major League Baseball third baseman
- Oswald Jacoby (1902-1984), American contract bridge player and author
- Scott Jacoby (b. 1956), American Emmy winning actor
- Mark Jacoby (b. 1947), American Broadway performer
- Oren Jacoby, American director and producer of documentary films
- Donald Jacoby, American ice dancer
- Coleman Jacoby (1915-2010), American comedy writer for radio and television
- Harold Jacoby (1865-1932), American astronomer
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Jacoby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Jacoby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 November 2012 at 12:11.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!