BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Jacoby family come from? What is the German Jacoby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Jacoby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Jacoby family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jacobsen, Jacobson, Jacobs, Jacobse, Jacob, Jacober, Jacobi, Jacobie, Jacoby, Jacobsohn, Jacobssohn, Jakobs, Jakober, Jakobsohn, Jacobsson, Jakobsson, Jakobssohn, Jakobsen, Jakobi, Jakobson, Jakobie and many more.
First found in Silesia, where the name was an integral part of a feudal society which would shape modern European history. Many prominent branches of the family would strive to make this name renowned as they contributed to the social, economic and political affairs of the region. In the Middle Ages, the name referred back to the Apostel Jacobus, whose grave in Spain was a popular goal for pilgrimage. These pilgrims from Germany became known as "Jacobsbrueder" (Jacobs-brothers).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jacoby research. Another 289 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1685, 1734, 1740, 1743, 1814, 1817, and 1819 are included under the topic Early Jacoby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 75 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Jacoby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Jacoby Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jost Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Ernst Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Johann Nickel Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Johann Peter Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Conrad Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1764
Jacoby Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- George Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806
- Charles Jacoby to Philadelphia in 1840
- Henry Edward Jacoby to Philadelphia in 1842
- Wolf Marcus Jacoby, who landed in New York, NY in 1849
- Otto Jacoby, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
- Joseph Erwin Jacoby (b. 1959), former American football offensive lineman
- Henry Sylvester Jacoby (b. 1857), American educator
- Brook Wallace Jacoby (b. 1959), former American Major League Baseball third baseman
- Oswald Jacoby (1902-1984), American contract bridge player and author
- Scott Jacoby (b. 1956), American Emmy winning actor
- Mark Jacoby (b. 1947), American Broadway performer
- Oren Jacoby, American director and producer of documentary films
- Donald Jacoby, American ice dancer
- Coleman Jacoby (1915-2010), American comedy writer for radio and television
- Harold Jacoby (1865-1932), American astronomer
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
The Jacoby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Jacoby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 August 2014 at 17:22.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is