100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Jacobi family come from? When did the Jacobi family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Jacobi family history?The name Jacobi is of Anglo-Saxon origin and came from the baptismal name for the son of Jacobus.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Jacobi include Jacobi, Jacoby, Jacobie and others.
First found in East Anglia, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jacobi research. Another 252 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1297, and 1379 are included under the topic Early Jacobi History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Jacobi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Jacobi Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Jacobi, who landed in New York in 1705-1750
- John Jacobi came to America in 1709
- Philip Jacobi, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Ulrich Jacobi, who arrived in New York, NY in 1710
- Eva Rosina Jacobi, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1735
Jacobi Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Christian Jacobi, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806
- William Jacobi to Baltimore in 1832
- Rosine Jacobi, who landed in North America in 1832-1849
- William Jacobi, who landed in America in 1832
- Jakob Jacobi, who arrived in America in 1840
- Frederick Jacobi (1891-1952), prolific American composer and teacher
- Abraham Jacobi (1830-1919), American pediatrician, founder of pediatrics in the United States
- Derek George Jacobi (b. 1938), British actor, whose films include I, Claudius and the Hunchback of Notre Dame, one of two actors to hold both Danish and English Knighthoods
- Carl Gustav Jacobi (1804-1851), German mathematician, noted for his work on elliptical functions, the theory of numbers and differential equations
- Louis Harold "Lou" Jacobi (1913-2009), Critically acclaimed Canadian character actor inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame in 1999
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
This page was last modified on 20 August 2014 at 16:13.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!