BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2014
Where did the Scottish Hutchinson family come from? What is the Scottish Hutchinson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hutchinson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hutchinson family history?The name Hutchinson was first used by Viking settlers in ancient Scotland. It was derived from Huchon, a diminutive form of Hugh. Patronymic surnames arose out of the vernacular and religious given name traditions. This name is the equivalent of Hugh in the vernacular of Scotland. The suffix son indicates "son of."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hutchinson, Hutchenson and others.
First found in Northumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hutchinson research. Another 197 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1586, 1642, 1634, 1587, 1643, 1615, 1664, 1663, 1591, 1643, 1620, 1681, 1660, 1739, 1797 and are included under the topic Early Hutchinson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 265 words(19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hutchinson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hutchinson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 187 words(13 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hutchinson Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Hutchinson settled in Salem in 1630
- George Hutchinson, who arrived in Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1632
- Thomas Hutchinson, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1632
- Joe Hutchinson settled in Virginia in 1634
- Edward Hutchinson, who settled in Boston in 1634 with Mary, his wife
Hutchinson Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Cha Hutchinson, who landed in Virginia in 1712
- Nicholas Hutchinson, who landed in Virginia in 1713
- Jennet Hutchinson, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740
- Margaret Hutchinson, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740
- John Hutchinson arrived in New York State in 1774 with his wife Margaret and five children
Hutchinson Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- James Hutchinson, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1811
- Henry Hutchinson, aged 19, landed in New York in 1812
- Walter Hutchinson, aged 31, landed in Connecticut in 1812
- William Hutchinson, aged 25, arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1822
- Joseph Hutchinson, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- Meg Hutchinson Ph.D. (b. 1978), American folk singer-songwriter
- John Irwin Hutchinson Ph.D. (1867-1935), American mathematician
- William Forrest "Wild Bill" Hutchinson (1859-1926), American Major League Baseball player
- George Evelyn Hutchinson (b. 1903), American zoologist posthumously awarded the National Medal of Science in 1991
- Brigadier-General Donald Robert Hutchinson (1909-1989), American Commanding Officer 311th Reconnaissance Wing (1946-1947)
- Allen Hutchinson (1855-1929), English sculptor
- Ray Coryton Hutchinson Ph.D. (1907-1975), British novelist
- Richard Michael John Hely Hutchinson (b. 1927), Irish nobleman, 8th Earl of Donoughmore and a Captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps
- Arthur Stuart-Menteth Hutchinson (1879-1971), British novelist
- James Hutchinson VC (1895-1972), British recipient of the Victoria Cross during World War I
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
The Hutchinson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hutchinson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 June 2014 at 15:49.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
BBB - A+ Rating
- the best there is